Author of Obviously Awesome and VP of Marketing for 7 successful startups April Dunford joins me to discuss product positioning, why it’s so important, and how to test your positioning thesis.
Get our awesome product content delivered daily-ish to your inbox
She has a deep expertise in Market Positioning and has launched 16 products into the market. April has experience creating new markets, expanding markets and positioning new products in existing established markets. Here are a few of the topics we’ll discuss on this episode of Product Launch:
- What is product positioning and why it’s so important.
- They key components of positioning and how to answer for all of them.
- How product positioning complements the jobs to be done framework.
- Why you need to start with competitive alternatives when it comes to positioning.
- Testing your positioning thesis and how to refine it based on your traction.
- The power of positioning and some real world examples of this.
- Finding the examples of best-fit customer use cases.
- Sean Boyce on LinkedIn
- 04:04 – “There’s branding and there’s positioning, those two things are totally separate. So I like to think of positioning this way it’s a bit like context setting for products.”
- 15:57 – “If you didn’t exist what would these customers be doing?”
- 29:16 – “Who’s super happy and what are those people doing, and can you tighten up the position around that, and that’s where the magic happens.”